Whatever happened to:
- neighborhood church bells
- a reverence for religious and national holidays
- special occasion dresses
- waiting until December 25 for a present
- a much anticipated long distance phone call ... for just a few minutes due to cost
- 99.9 % of stores and businesses closing for Christmas, Sunday, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc.
- saying "Merry Christmas" ... instead of "Happy (generic) Holidays
- Christmas savings programs through your bank so you didn't owe on credit cards for six months past Christmas
- being content with whatever present you received ... instead of handing out a wish list
- driving to grandma's house for a family gathering
- meaningful Christmas music
- nothing remotely Christmasie until after Thanksgiving ...
- the real reason for celebrating Christmas ...
- whole intact families
It makes you wonder doesn't it!
Maybe next year...