- The Sunday morning, April 6th, 1952, when I trusted Christ as my Savior as a 6-year-old and was born-again from above.
- Seeing the buildings in Bristol, England where George Muller ministered to and provided for thousands of orphans in his lifetime.
- Hearing the late James Montgomery Boice preach in Tenth Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia. I don't think I've listened to a more powerful orator who knew and loved God.
- Traveling by train to a Billy Graham Crusade in Toronto in the 50's as a young boy.
- Singing Make Me a Blessing in the V. Raymond Edman chapel at Wheaton College while attending a Missions Conference for young people in the 60's.
- Listening to J. Sidlow Baxter preach and play the piano in the same service at The Peoples Church in Toronto.
- Leading Elsie Knott, Canada's first female Indian chief, to faith in Christ in my Christian bookstore.
- Conducting Good Friday and Easter Sunday chapel services for the Toronto Blue Jays and Kansas City Royals about 10 years ago and sensing the power of God in a remarkable way.
- Meeting Julius Erving, then playing basketball for the Philadelphia 76ers, after sending him numerous letters of encouragement over the years. Dr. J. knew who I was immediately and told me of the profound effect those "epistles" had had on his life.
- Visiting the Summer House in Olney, England (pictured) where the prolific poet and songwriter William Cowper penned many of his powerful hymns. Cowper battled depression constantly and found refuge with John Newton in this "Summer House".
Sunday, March 23, 2008
Top 10 Spiritual Encounters
I trust you had a blessed Easter, dear friends! Lately I've been recalling some of the most significant spiritual encounters of my 62 plus years. The following events come to mind and I have listed them in no particular order. My encounter with Christ when I first trusted Him and was saved is listed at the top but the rest are mentioned randomly.